Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Square That Comes Full Circle


The title isn't meant to be some metaphor for some deeper meaning, but really is a literal translation. On my birthday (me being Sydney's Dad) I got a mysterious package from my older brother Nathan. I opened it, pulled out the contents, and heard Karen say, "what...is...that???" with a puzzled look on her face. With it's tattered coloring and faded red checkerboxes in the middle, she thought it was an old tablecloth. I could only smile and say "my baby blanket!" It was very amazing to see it again.

The blanket, which my mother had gotten for Nathan when he was a baby, got handed down to me when I was born. As we grew older and the need for it declined, it was still a center-piece of tug of war competitions, and also during random pillow fights it acted as a nice whip...where you could really snap your opponent and leave some nice welts. Needless to say, the blanket got handed down again to Destani and Alex, my neices. My nephews may have also enjoyed some of it.

Sydney, while she enjoys a few of her own already, will add this to her experience. It's amazing to think that this blanket is on it's fourth decade. So, quite literally, this little square has come full circle. I hope Sydney will enjoy it as much as the rest of us have.

And thank you everyone for the birthday wishes, it helps ease the pain of accepting another year :) On a similar note (of birthdays), we just wanted to say that Richard will be missed. He shared the same birthday as me (Joe), and he is in our hearts. He brought smiles to everyone he talked to, and his warmth will always be with us. Richard also taught me how to roast coffee...the true art of love...and it will always be treasured and with me.

Have a great and safe longggggg weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Awww! What a special blankie! It's cool that it's been passed down like that! Have a great Memorial Day weekend! Tell Sydney Maggie says hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Joe! I hope you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete