Sunday, June 15, 2014

Outlandish!

There will be days when I am less than my perfect, stellar self.  I may, on occasion, make mistakes like mere mortals do.  Everyone is prone to making errors, even despite best intentions.  When those moments occur, I will forever just have to mention one little word..."Outlander."  I recently took a trip down to Seattle with Karen so that she could participate in the Outlander book series 'fan retreat.'  I didn't want her to go alone, and I want to be supportive of whatever interests she has.  So, this led me to be one of 500 people attending a very popular event that occurred days before the release of the next book.  Karen said the tickets sold out in four minutes, and it was crazy to see people who flew in from all over the country...and, in fact, all over the world.  Some people traveled from England to participate in this event.

Karen meets the author!
Karen enjoys the event...
but can't wait to read the new book
she now possesses!
I knew going into the event, that this book series were very popular with the fairer sex (that's women obviously, in case you were wondering!!!).  I knew this ahead of time, but my comfort level wasn't questioned because of my intense manliness.  When we arrived at the event, it was clear my expectations were far exceeded...as I counted the number of male humans on one hand.  As I counted, though, I realized how many points I was truly gaining that day, thus my earlier comment about when I make the occasional minor error.  So to you, Outlander...I have not read you yet, but I will be forever grateful for the longevity you have given me outside of the dog house :)  Okay, in all fairness...it wasn't too terrible.  They discussed the upcoming show that is coming to Starz, and there was some decent Scottish food at the end.  But as far as the comment about the disparities between men and women, that was definitely 100% correct.

In sadder news, we recently lost our furry family member Stirling.  She lived a long life, and she made it to the ripe old age of 19 years and 1 day old.  She's been a part of my life for quite a while (half of it really), but I remember how much Sydney loved spending time with her when she was little.  More recently, she was a gentle soul and put up with Corwin...who would squeal with delight and excitement every time he saw her.  His initial petting was a little rough, but Stirling learned to live with it as we educated him on what the proper social petting etiquette was.  She got along with all animals, and never had anything but a purr in her mind.  We also will miss Pam, who we recently celebrated at her celebration of life.  It seems we've lost too many this year, but they will all be remembered.

June has been very busy, but July has promise to be even busier.  We have put an offer in on a house.  If the inspection and the appraisal shake out okay, we anticipate closing in the middle of the month.  Shortly after, we will be making a trip to Florida for my work conference, which will consume a week away from home as we transition to a new house.  Wish us well with our sanity!!!

Father's Day is upon us.  What does that mean???  Of course, it means that we should celebrate all of the dads in our lives that provided support, and a good foundation for life.  Happy Father's day to my dad (Tom), and my other father (Don).  And of course, we can't forget the other Fathers that made my life possible...my Grandpa Harry who is not with us for the first time on Father's Day, and my Great Grandpa Homer.  Quite literally, if it had not been for them giving birth to my Grandma and my Mom, my life would not have been possible.  We appreciate you all, and hope that you have a great Father's Day...in this world or in spirit!!!  For me, being a father has been a rewarding experience.  It never could have happened with two great children, Sydney and Corwin.  But first and foremost, it never would have happened without Karen...let's be realistic...her giving birth to them is a big part of me being a father.  So, thank you to all my awesome family peeps!!!



Until next time, have a great weekend!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment